provides communication and integration services as well as a programming model
to develop applications on top of the WSN infrastructure.
Managing high data volume and supporting security and privacy are the two key
capabilities to be considered in next versions of SmartSensor. According to [ 6 ],
IoT generates a huge ammount of data, yielded by physical and virtual elements
connected to the Internet, and the data volume needs to be stored and easily reached.
The convergence of Cloud Computing with IoT has been pointed out as a promissing
approach [ 3 ] to address this issue by establish a cloud-based IoT environment, the
so-called cloud-of-things [ 4 ].
Another important issue that deserves a further investigation, highlighted by [ 7 ], is
the support for dynamic adaptation ofmashups according to the user requirements and
the runtime environment. This aspect needs a combination of context monitoring and
management, adaptive behavior modeling, and the realization of dynamic adaptation
of the mashup.
1. Enterprise Mashup Markup Language, Open Mashup Alliance, 2010. Available at http://www.
2. Fielding, R. (2000). Architectural styles and the design of network-based software architectures .
Doctoral dissertation, University of California, Irvine.
3. Gao, L., Zhang, C., & Sun, L. (2011). RESTful web of things API in sharing sensor data .Inthe
2011 International Conference on Internet Technology and Applications (iTAP), IEEE.
4. Soldatos, J., Serrano, M., & Hauswirth, M. (2012). Convergence of utility computing with the
internet-of-things. proceddings of the2012 Sixth International Conference on Innovative Mobile
and Internet Services in Ubiquitous, Computing (IMIS'12) (pp. 874-879).
5. Bandyopadhyay, S., Sengupta, M., Maiti, S., &Dutta, S. (2011). Role of middleware for internet
of things: A study. International Journal of Computer Science and Engineering Survey, 2 (3),
6. Vermesan, O., Friess, P., Guillermin, P., Gusmeroli, S., Sundmaeker, H., Bassi, A., Jubert,
I., Mazura, M., Harrison, M., Eisenhauer, M., Doody, P. (2011). Internet of Things Strategic
Research Roadmap. Global Technological and Societal Trends. (pp. 9-52). Aalborg: River Pub-
7. Zeng, D., Guo, S., &Cheng, Z. (2011). The web of things: A survey. Journal of Communications,